Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Some kind of tutorial

For all you LADIES that read this, you may be wondering how good ol' Felix made that awesome Fallout 3 Bra. Right? You remember, this one?

Well, GOOD NEWS!

I'ma show you.

Only with a shirt I made as part of the plan Lulu and I have to seduce and capture the boys over at Penny Arcade.

It looks like this:


And the tutorial is after the jump.



First, I looked up pictures of what will from here on out be referred to as "The Gabe Shirt", or perhaps "TGS" if I get really lazy and ignore the 30 rock reference. I sifted through a lot of archives to find the right angle.

I don't own this, they do.

Then I had to decide how I wanted to look. We decided on a not-slutty but kind of 80's hot chick version of it. Thus, I had to create a cut-off shirt. I ordered a 2xl shirt I found on amazon to assure maximum slouchability. Here it is:


Then I cut it. I marked on the side seam where I wanted it to hit on my body, then laid a straight edge over that so I cut it right:


Then I cut it. Simple:

I recommend saving the bottom part if you cut anything so you can practice stenciling on it. I made my stencil out of wax paper. This is the key to a clean stencil on clothing, because you can iron it on, and the edges stay clean.
I also used fabric spray dye. You can buy this at almost any craft/ fabric store, like a JoAnn's, etc. You can also use regular spray paint in a pinch, just run it through the dryer to set it before you try to wash it. Regular spray paint will also fade with frequent washing.

Next, cover the parts of your shirt that you do not want sprayed with news paper. This will protect from over spray. I tape everything together, as well, just to be safe.

Then, spray!


And there you have it! Allow your stencil to dry for a minute or two, but pull the stencil up before the spray is completely dry. You will have to be careful, the spray will be very wet on your wax paper.


Yay! It's finished! Now Lulu and I just have to figure out when we'll be on the same coast long enough to use it!

No comments:

Post a Comment