Friday, April 29, 2011

Oregon Geeks

Here in Portland, we're geeks for the outdoors.

If you take a look at the month of April alone, you'll notice 6 days with no precipitation, and 4 days above 60. This is clearly not stopping us anymore, as an adventure photo shoot in torrential rains I took with a friend recently proved, but when the weather clears up, we're out there. And last weekend, it was a glorious day. Behold:



I went on a hike out in the gorge, where there are some amazing views, and many wonderful waterfalls. The view going up looked like this:



and this:



The view from the top was amazing:

Photobucket

And the view heading back down?

Photobucket

Now, I'm not saying that hiking with your mini vintage leather backpack is a BAD idea... but...

This was the only picture I managed to get of the many, ahem, "colorful" characters I saw on the trail. Apparently, the uniform for middle aged women is zip off pants, "hiking" sticks (ski poles that people use as walking sticks...? Why?) and conversations about email forwards. I kid you not, there were several groups that fit all three of those. Another highlight was a group of about six guys in their early 20's, who looked to be gamers, all hiking with their resealable cans of Diet Rockstar.

Perhaps my favorite hiking outfit I saw was a young woman in equestrian boots and a sun dress. Perhaps not the best attire for a 2770(ish) foot trek up the hillside.

But hey, to each their own, right? I'm sure my jeans and BRINK shirt (sawg from PAXEast 2011) drew some skeptical looks.

I'll avoid the geekery I feel about the recent Royal Wedding, but I'll end with my stupid excitement over a recent purchase... cover art by one of my favorite artists ever, "Gabe" (Mike Krahulik) of Penny Arcade (if you don't know who they are/ what that is, get out, get out now) and some magic cards, STFU.


No comments:

Post a Comment